Sunday 9 September 2012

Swimming with sharks - 5th August 2012

Scary and exciting all at once

Here I was thinking this holiday would be all about rest and relaxation – I must have momentarily forgotten who my partner in crime is. James has lasted three days in the chilling out zone. This is quite a feat for someone who cannot sit still and did not bring a book with him! He is steadfastly refusing my offers to share Fifty Shades of Grey.
Today I am grateful for having a husband who is full of life and kicks me out of my conform zone. I could have easily spent the day on a sun lounge. But he wasn't having that. He won, and we had the best day of the holiday so far. 
Today we swam with stingrays and reef sharks. It was an incredible and confronting experience. Coming from Australia, where sharks eat you and a stingray killed Steve Irwin, it felt very wrong to be so close to them. As we fed the stingrays their sandpaper like skin glided over our feet, hands and stomach. They think nothing of rubbing right up against you in search of food. The most confronting part of the whole experience was putting our heads under water to watch the stingrays and noticing more than 20 reef sharks circling less than a metre away. We were assured they are vegetarians, but it was still slightly terrifying. We are conditioned to be scared of sharks – to get out of the water if you hear a siren or see a fin. It's so counter initiative to stand still and stare as they swim towards you. It seems ‘outside of my comfort zone’ is actually a very rewarding place. Note to self: I need to spend more time here.

PS. Sorry for using a stock image. We were to busy making sure a shark didn't get close enough to eat us that we forgot to take our own pic.


No comments:

Post a Comment