Sunday 29 April 2012

Not quite Nigella - 29th April 2012

Batch 1

Let's be honest, cooking is not my strong suit. So weak in fact are my culinary skills that I live on scrambled eggs and toasted sandwiches when James is away. For some strange reason I awoke on Anzac Day with an intense desire to cook Anzac biscuits. James laughed, a lot, then asked if I was ok. Call it patriotism. After spending the day talking about it, I finally went to buy the ingredients. It seems everyone in the eastern suburbs had the same idea. The shelves were bare of bi-carb soda and desiccated coconut. 
Fast-forward four days and I'm baking like a reject from Masterchef. Today I cooked my first batches of Anzac biscuits. I say batches because the first attempt didn't quite hit the spot (read too much golden syrup and oven too hot which led to burning of biscuit bottom). The good news is the second batch rocked! I'm not quite Nigella yet and I have no desire to cook anything else, but I am feeling slightly smug. I only burnt myself on the oven once and nothing caught on fire. That's a good day in my kitchen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment