Wednesday 25 April 2012

Retail therapy - 22nd April 2012

New boots...big smile!


There is nothing like a bit of surprise retail therapy to bring a smile to my face. I went shopping with James today to help him buy a pair of shoes. Opps...I found myself a pair as well. Big smiles!
While bathing in the delight of my new boots, I may have done a little too much thinking. Two things occurred to me in the hour after this purchase. This first was how bad retailers must be are faring at the moment. It's late April and winter boots are already on sale. In fact, everything we purchased today was on sale.
The second thought was how shopping can be compared to drug use - an exhilarating thrill in the moment followed by less than desirable after-effects. 
My thoughts started with, "These boots will totes go with my jeans and I think they make my legs look longer." Then came the crash. "OMG, I should return them. It's a waste of money I don't have or should be saving. Ahhh, why do I have no self control?" It seems I suffer from bad post purchase remorse.      
In a bid to rid myself of this condition (returning the boots is out of the question) I am going to channel my good friend Richard Mill who once said, "I do deserve nice things." I also adore the fact he said this after buying himself a new IPod, the third or fourth for the year, after giving his last one to a homeless man. Apparently he needed it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment