Sunday 29 April 2012

Lest We Forget - 25th April 2012

An incredible place

On this day nine years ago we had the privilege of sitting in Anzac Cove as the sun rose and the Last Post played. It was one of the most moving and memorable experiences of my life. Today, I wish I were there again.
As a kid I'd learnt about Anzac Day, been to services and marched a few times with school. But it wasn't until I sat, in the dark, on the slopping hill of Anzac Cove that the enormity of what our soldiers faced dawned on me. Behind us was a massive hill, so steep it would take hours and great strength to climb. In front of us, water lapped the sand where so many of our soldiers lost their lives. One look at the landscape gave the game away - they never stood a chance. On this special day, Lest We Forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment