Saturday 18 February 2012

Time poor - 13th Feb 2012





I reached a new low today. I applied the second half of my makeup routine in the car as I drove to work in peak hour traffic. Weirdly, it felt worse than the mornings I'm so late I do it on the train.
Now there are multiple things wrong with this situation. The first is the element of danger to myself and other drivers - I'm clearly not giving the bumper bar in front my full attention as I coat my lashes with mascara. Second is the fact I think it is somehow less pathetic to only apply the decorative parts of my makeup routine on public or private transport (apparently foundation must be applied in private however eye shadow is fair game). But most alarmingly, why am I so time poor that there are not enough minutes in my morning to ensure I leave the house in a fit state to greet the world?
"Just get out of bed earlier," I hear you so. A logical solution yes, but a practical one, no. My personal catch phrase has long been "I don't do mornings". The answer needs to come from a more dramatic change in my lifestyle. I need to achieve some work life balance. That means doing more than getting home late, eating, showering, watching TV to zone out my brain, before falling asleep and starting it all over again.
I have no idea how, but I am embarking on a mission to achieve some balance between the two competing elements in my life - my career and personal life. The latter can no longer be a second priority. I'm looking for two positives to come out of this change: the ability to relax and switch off once I leave the office and having enough energy to get up when my alarm goes off each morning and have time to actually get ready before I leave the house. Is that really too much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment