Sunday 26 February 2012

Dreamers and realists - 26th Feb 2012

Modern Family lessons from Cam


I certainly didn't expect the inspiration for today’s' post to come from the character of Cam in Modern Family. But I guess that is the beauty of this blog - I'm finding perspective in the places I least expected. It shows what happens when you become more alert in your own life.
I am a self confessed realist. My theory has always been to look at the worst case scenario first and plan around it. If you plan for it, it's unlikely to happen and life then usually surprises on the upside. In the Modern Family scenario I am a Claire, Mitchell and Jay. 
James, on the other hand, is a Cam, Phil and Gloria. He is a dreamer and I envy him for that. Life doesn't seem to come with so many restrictions for the dreamers. I long to see the positive in every situation and truly believe that "everything will be ok", rather than poring over all possible outcomes.
There was a scene in tonight's episode, which reminded me why realists and dreamers need each other. “The dreamers need the realists to keep them from soaring to close to the sun. And the realists...well, without the dreamers, they might not ever get off the ground". It's the perfect balance.
There is no point in me wishing to be something I can't. I'm just not programmed that way. Instead, I am grateful to have someone who is my perfect counterbalance, and me him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment