Monday 26 March 2012

True perspective - 23rd March 2012


Today I read a fantastic article about a situation that is nothing short of a tragic reflection on our society today. Trayvon Martin, a 17 year-old black teenager in the US was shot and killed as he walked home from the store. It appears he was shot for no other reason than ingrained racism. The shooter claimed Martin looked “suspicious". There are a whole raft of other issues I have with the way this situation unfolded, but read the article and make your own judgment. http://www.smh.com.au/world/trayvon-martin-a-killing-too-far-20120323-1vnl7.html#ixzz1qBg2pHNw 
Just as disturbing as the story were some details within the article, including "the fact black men in America are more likely to be stopped, searched, arrested, convicted and executed than any other group. With almost one in 10 black men behind bars there are more of them in prison, on probation or on parole today than were enslaved in 1850."
This story has made me eternally grateful for the boring 'Brady bunch' life I have been so lucky to live. I cannot imagine being persecuted for something as simple as the colour of my skin. I am also thrilled that people are still passionate enough about injustice to attend these rallies and speak out for someone who no longer has a voice. This tragedy has immediately put my little complaints about life right into perceptive. 
Martin's murder was largely ignored by the police, until people power took hold with numerous rallies taking place and forcing the issue into the public domain.    

No comments:

Post a Comment