Saturday 17 March 2012

The true mantle of character - 16th March 2012

Ian Thorpe delivers a masterclass in handling defeat

Tonight I had the privilege of witnessing a true champion in action. As I watched Ian Thopre in his bid to qualify for London 2012, I thought this post would be able the inspiration he provided by beating the odds and making the Olympic Team. The pre-race highlights package perfectly set the scene for his heroic return to glory. 
But he didn't. In the end he faded badly in the last 50m and failed to qualify. Dream over.
It turns out today's lesson in perspective came from the most unexpected of places - watching Thorpe handle himself in defeat. I know it's said the true mantle of ones character is the way we react when the chips are down. But I have always been uncomfortable with this notion - largely because I generally respond like a sulky teenager mid dramatic tantrum. Tonight Thorpe had every reason to swear, cry and throw a tanty as life gave him the rude finger. But he didn’t. Instead he was composed, rational and professional in the face of defeat and adversity. Ian Thrope I salute you and aspire to handle life a little more like you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment