Saturday 21 July 2012

Separated at birth - 22nd June 2012




My cousin...my twin?
DNA and the mysteries of the gene pool fascinate me. I am constantly perplexed at how children from the same parents can be totally different in looks and personality, while people with a genetic link on a secondary level, such as nieces, aunts and cousins can be almost identical. 
I've discussed on this blog the curious case of my niece and I. She looks just as I did at her age and we share 90% of the same personality traits (thankfully she inherited part of my sisters gently caring nature, accounting for the 10% difference). This likeness amazes me.
What I’ve just discovered is even stranger are the similarities between my cousin Peta and myself. If we didn’t know better I’d swear we were separated at birth. While we look different, we share the same sense of humour, the same outlook on life, the inability to stop dancing when music plays and a whole range of other traits that weird my husband out. We've only discovered this likeness recently as we didn't grew up together.
Tonight I spent the evening with the darling Peta. We had a ball at a dance/theatre show and talked and laughed for hours (as neither of us draw breath). I had the most fantastic night. It was like hanging out with a funnier version of myself. As self-absorbed as this sounds, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment