Sunday 28 October 2012

Barack Obama on a bus - 27th October 2012

Barack found in the middle of Kenya

This time four years ago we saw Barack Obama on the back of a bus...in Kenya. The proud African nation was gripped with US election fever and we were immersed in the travel experience of a lifetime. How can those glorious days be a whole presidential campaign ago? Tell me where, where has the time gone?
The constant media coverage of the upcoming US election is making me nostalgic for those glory days. At the time I knew our trip – from the top to bottom of Africa's east coast – would be an incredible experience. What I didn’t know is that is would change my view of the world, alter who I am and awaken a restlessness in me that I haven’t been able to settle. Africa changed my world.
Every time I've seen Barack this week, my mind goes back to Africa. For that I am incredibly grateful. It’s been a timely reminder to focus on the plans I set at the end of that trip. It is time to kick a few of them into action.
As a side note, I wish it could be mandated that people must travel the world before they can settle down and make grown up decisions. Decisions are better made with perspective that you can’t get in your own backyard.




No comments:

Post a Comment