Monday 21 May 2012

A true inspiration - 6th May 2012

Turia Pitt...a true inspiration


Turia Pitt, I bow down before you and offer my complete respect and admiration. In one heart breaking story and a single sentence this incredibly brave woman defines what true character is. She also encapsulates everything I wanted to find in this blog...hope, positivity and inspiration.
Tonight Turia's story was featured on 60 Minutes. The TV was on but I wasn't watching. That is until I walked past and caught a few things she had to stay. After that I couldn’t turn away.  
Turia Pitt was competing in a marathon in the Kimberley region when a bushfire swept across the course, catching her in its path. She sustained burns to 70% of her body and has undergone the fight of her life just to survive. Now she is wearing compression bandages for 23 hours a day for two years. 
She has every reason to feel angry, depressed and down right ripped off, but Turia is the exact opposite. When questioned about the challenges ahead, and her goal to run again she said, "It’s difficult, but it’s not going to be forever". I couldn't believe my ears. There in those nine little words is true perspective. This woman is facing unimaginable obstacles each day and yet she is focused on the future. Overcoming her challenges is a given. "It’s difficult, but it’s not going to be forever". This is my new mantra.

No comments:

Post a Comment