Tuesday 8 May 2012

Solving a family mystery - 4th May 2012


The Homeland?

I think I've solved the mystery of the Gibbons family's secret heritage. On paper our family is of English and Irish descent. However one look at a few of us (unfortunately not me) and this is called into question. It appears there has been a secret donor in our gene pool on my grand father's side. About a third of his grandchildren and great-grand children have beautiful dark skin and big brown eyes. In fact, a few of my cousins would not look out of place in a cricket team fielded from the subcontinent. It was this realisation that led us to wonder if part of our ancestry lies in India or Pakistan. 
Close, but no cigar. I think I've worked it out. We are from Kashmir! 
My hypothesis is based on some sketchy anecdotal evidence, but I’m going with it. 
In the UK I saw a guy who looked exactly like one of my cousins. He said he was from Kashmir, the disputed territory bordering India and Pakistan. This stuck in my head. Then, tonight, I jumped in a cab and the lovely taxi driver looked exactly like pictures I’d seen of my grandfather. So I asked where he was from, "Pakistan he said. “From a little town in the Himalayas.” That’s right near Kashmir. I have solved the mystery!
Today I am grateful for the potential of a slightly exotic history. This is way more exciting than convicts and potato famines.

No comments:

Post a Comment