Tuesday 24 January 2012

I'm finally starting yoga. Woo Hoo - 3rd Jan 2012


This day has been many years in the making. Finally, after much talk and very little action for a very long time, I have finally started yoga. I feel ridiculously excited just typing that!


And now for the annoying bit. I'm about to become one of those people who rave about how yoga has changed their life. I know, it's slightly premature, I've only been to one class. But before you judge, let me try to defend myself.


Firstly, I felt sightly self righteous just standing on the mat striking a pose I've only seen flexible people do in the movies. (I do however admit I was neither flexible nor glamourous ie Scarlett Johansson in 'He's Just Not That Into You'). Secondly, I could feel muscles stretching that I didn't even know I needed to work on. Third, it was quiet in my brain. This is the amazing bit.


There has never been a moment in my life where my brain isn't whirling with multiple thoughts. It's never a quiet place in there. I'm forever making lists of things to do, places to go, work to finish, plans to action. Just stuff. But this was different. For the first time, ever, not a single thought entered my head apart from the pose I was trying to achieve at that exact point in time. Amazing.


It would be wrong not to share the funny bits too, in the interests of full disclosure. There is nothing inspirational or soothing about watching a grown man strike revealing poses in bike pants with no shirt one, as he sweats it out in a room heated to 30 degrees. Taking a deep breath and exhaling the sound 'Om' for four outward breaths made me feel like a new age fool. However, the little fart someone accidentally squeezed out (swear it was not me) doing one particular move did make me laugh. 



No comments:

Post a Comment