Sunday 14 April 2013

Ice creams and sweet memories - 21st Dec 2012

It still looks exactly the same!
Some of my most precious childhood memories were created on our annual family holidays in Kiama. There was the rocket ship in the park we'd climb for hours, the 'paper man' who delivered newspapers and chocolates in his panel van, and my favourite - the Great Australian Ice Creamery. 
This year the Gibbons clan are returning to Kiama to make new memories. It's about 25 years since our last visit and our family has doubled in size. We've added two husbands, a girlfriend and two kids. While a million things have changed, some things have remained the same. It seems I've always been a creature of habit. Every day we'd visit the ice creamery and I'd order the same thing - a peppermint and choc chip ice cream in a cone. Tonight James and I arrived in Kiama and pulled up right in front of that very same shop. I ordered straight way without a thought - one scoop of peppermint choc chip in a cone!
It's also amazing how big things look when you are a little kid. The counter use to be so high and the shop felt so much bigger. But thankfully the ice cream is still brilliantly creamy.
The one thing I wish most for over the next week is the chance to create new family memories with my niece and nephew. Aunty Trice is so bloody excited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment