Sunday 10 June 2012

Am I a bogan trend setter? – 29th May 2012

My almost mistake

Ok, it’s confession time. I am a clean skin. Despite spending many hours weighing up the merits of Chinese characters vs an Ank – the Egyptian symbol of eternal life – I have never found anything I was committed enough to, to get it tattooed on my body. Part of my reluctance also has to do with the fact I spend months mulling over an image or phrase, only to see it start appearing on bodies everywhere just as I’m about the take the plunge. It happened with the Ank. I was studying Ancient Egyptian history and saw tattooing an Ank in the middle of my lower back as the best way to mark the end of the HSC and the beginning of the life I’d send 18 years dreaming about stating.   Thankfully the thought of the pain slowed my decision, saving me from looking like every tragic ‘trendsetter’ who soon jumped on that bandwagon.
Fast forward a few years and my fascination with acupuncture and all things herbal medicine related led to the idea o f getting several Chinese characters on my foot. Again, I spent months trying to convince myself I’d still love the tat at 40, and the pain would be worth it, and it happens again. Chinese characters suddenly become the hottest thing in town.
The final time came recently when popstars and Hollywood hotties stole my idea of tattooing a phase on my rib cage. I say final time, because I am done. After what would have been three disastrous tattoos I’ve decided to stay a clean skin. No chance of humiliation that way.
I was recounting this story to some friends over dinner tonight. I suggested I may be ahead of my time, because it seems I come up with these ideas, then the world gets on board. “You are a bogan trend setter,” one of my friends hilariously suggested. Cue mortification. OMG, I am, oh the shame. The only thing separating me from the bogan is that I’m too chicken to actually get the ink. Today I am ever so grateful for being a wimp. 

No comments:

Post a Comment