Monday 13 August 2012

Crimes against grammar - 12th July 2012


In my best Nanna voice I ask, what has happen to the correct use of grammar and the English language? When did the spelling of great change to gr8 and since when has the name Vanessa been spelt Vernesa? 
Now I am no saint on the grammar front. In fact, I would have been fired in my first hour on the job as a journo where it not for spell check, but things have gone too far. People need to stop abusing the English language. I'm not asking everyone to punctuate their text messages (I only do it because I am anal and live in the ridiculous hope that someone might see the correct use of a comma and replicate it) but can we stop changing the spelling of standard words, please? Today I am grateful that I was not born in the Shire. After watching the ad for what looks like the most ridiculous show every produced, I realise the spelling of Vernesa could have been trouble for me. My name could have been Pertrece. That just looks offensive! Grateful for small mercies. 



No comments:

Post a Comment